Monday, October 28, 2013

How the mighty fall...

Well, getting a horrible flu sure stopped all my lofty scratch-cooking goals.  After the tart, I started getting a tickle in my throat.  The tickle lead to a hacking cough and fever and staying in bed for three days.  Which led to sandwiches.  And Panda Express.

I'm not proud of myself.

Finally starting to feel better (though still coughing and really drained).

Here is the only thing I really made while sick:


Apple Juice with Ginger and Lemon

Heat up good quality apple juice or cider on the stovetop.  Add the juice of one lemon.  Grate in 1 - 2 Tbs of ginger.  Add 1-2 Tbs of raw, local honey.  Drink while warm.  It feels good on your throat because honey is a natural cough syrup.  The apple juice is full of vitamins and tasty.  The lemon provides vitamin C, of course.  The ginger is full of good things too...and is used in Asia as a folk remedy for the flu/cold.

I also made lots of Throat Coat tea, which helps a lot.  And fresh-squeezed Valencia orange juice.  Have you tried fresh juice at home?  You don't need a fancy expensive juicer to make orange juice and it tastes a lot better than store-bought.  This article Orange Juice Processing is definitely worth reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment