Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Unexpected Weeknight baking- Meyer Lemon Curd and Molasses Cookies

My guy has the flexibility to occasionally work from home, so with the snow yesterday, that's what he did.  He also made his excellent chili in the crockpot.  (He's a keeper.)

So, I didn't have to cook.  What did I do instead?  Relax?  Catch up on reading?  Nope.  I made lemon curd and baked cookies.  I'm a tad bit insane.

But the lemon curd was delicious...




The lemon curd is from an Ina Garten recipe (I love the Barefoot Contessa show) - Lemon Curd

We discovered lemon curd by purchasing it on a whim a few years ago, but it is very expensive.  I saw some beautiful Meyer lemons in the store and knew I had to try making my own.  I figured out that I spend just about the same amount of money...but instead of one jar of curd, I have enough for four or five.  So I get that bonus...plus no Yellow Number 5 or other weird ingredients.  That awesome yellow color is all lemon.


The molasses cookies were also tasty, but they gave me too much rise.  I think I need to reduce the leavening next time.



Here's the recipe: Molasses Cookies

I didn't use margarine, of course. I used unsalted butter instead. I also didn't have any baking soda, so I substituted baking powder. Baking powder is made with baking soda plus cream of tartar, so it's an okay substitution, but didn't really work here. My cookies were too puffy- but I think it's a good recipe. They have a great flavor and were soft with awesome cracking. Teenage boy approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment